Golden Years Like Hell

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The 60's

Well the last two weeks have been fraught with concern for some old friends.  One went into the hospital and ended up have his kidney and some other things get removed, he had cancer. Phil has been a friend from 40 years and is only 62, he is also my birthday brother and I love him a lot and was so sad to hear of his health crises.
Then the same day my friend Bill called from the hospital, he had fallen and looked kind of messed up.  It was decided he was going to need a heart procedure done and the following week it was done, so far so good, he is also 62.
Then two days later my friend Corey had a "small heart attack" and she spent a couple of days in the hospital, she is 60. 
The 60's suck..........that is the conclusion that I am coming up with.  Because most of my friends are that age it is really become prevalent that 60 sucks and God forbid you make it to 70. 
My generation is not nearly as tough as my parent's generation was, and the generation under us is even less tough.  The scientific studies are showing for the first time in history that the younger generations are dying sooner than the older ones.  A lot is contributed to diet, but also the lack of physical activity, which I see all the time with the kids and grandkids.  Is there a way to reverse this trend?  I don't know.  After going through 4 days without power, I found even I was suffering without my favorite TV show or the internet.  So how does one withdraw from this addiction also?
It appears to me that country is full of addicts...food, sex, drugs,internet, tv and any new trend.  I wonder if it is because this country was founded by those who had the adventure gene, those who had the wanderlust, those who were ADHD.....could it be that we are all genetically addictive and that something triggers it?  I know my generation got hooked on the drugs,sex, fast food and pop.....it didn't take much in the 60's....Oh my, back to that number 60....

No comments:

Post a Comment